Wednesday, January 26, 2011


~Written by Dawn, Dawn's Custom Designs~

Each of my parrots have a special and unique story. Some are sad, difficult stories, but all have a very happy ending. Here is one that was a roller-coaster of emotions.

I had been involved with rescuing and rehoming birds through the years. It was a very gratifying experience to see a bird that had come from a bad situation, that had lost it’s excitement to be alive or had health issues, become a happy, well adjusted bird that flourished more and more with each day.

The hard part was finding a new home for these birds and ensuring their well being. After all, I had put all of this time, money and most of all “myself” into helping them become happy, healthy and loved. I found out quickly that there were a lot of dishonest people who did not have the best interest of the bird as their priority. A lot of people saw this opportunity either as a way to make money (a.k.a “flipping”) or were just adding the bird to their already immense collection of birds. For me, I needed to find a home that would first and foremost love this creature and continue to give it the healthy environment that I had provided thus far.

For all of them, excellent homes were found but it took a lot of learning(the hard way!) and waiting for the right person to come along. One of the most gratifying rehomes I did was a male Eclectus named Kiwi.

He had been living with a woman in another state and she had somehow tracked me down as a fellow Ekkie owner as she was looking for advice on how she could help him stop plucking his feathers. At first I felt very happy that an owner was looking to help their bird and was not just giving up on him when he started having problems or wasn’t looking as “pretty” as when she first got him.

This correspondence quickly turned into her wanting me to take her bird and fix the problem. She just didn’t want to be bothered anymore. Of course when this happened, it was a huge red flag for me. She kept sending me emails and leaving me messages about wanting me to take him. So I began asking more questions as to his condition and environment. Through our conversations I learned that she had kept him in her garage with no windows since she had gotten him. I also learned that she was feeding him an all seed diet. It seemed that this situation had just gotten even worse when her messages became desperate. She wanted desperately to ship him off to me. I began looking for potential homes for this poor guy. I didn’t know his personality or how bad he really was. I asked her to please wait until the weather became warmer and he could be shipped safely. She agreed.

As soon as the weather got warm she was sending me messages incessantly. Again, she sounded desperate to “get rid of him." I asked for a bit more time as I hadn’t secured a potential home for him. She sent me a disturbing email the very next day which read: “I am tired of watching him pull his feathers. I am going to get in contact with my vet to see if he will euthanize him."

My heart sank and I knew I had to move quickly as this woman was not stable. I immediately got on the phone to call her. My voice was shaky and I was in tears. I pulled myself together and focused my efforts on getting in contact with her and getting him here quickly. Finally after hours and many calls to the local police dept., animal welfare and any people from TEC who lived close by, she finally called me back.

She agreed to ship him, rather than do anything drastic. I was relieved, but still needed to get him in my hands before I knew he was ok. I set everything up for two days later. That was the first available flight. I was anxious to get him here but also very nervous about what his condition was going to be.

He finally arrived. Cold, scared and very thin. Not to mention very badly plucked. The first thing I did was get him to my vet. Surprisingly everything was fine except that he was very underweight.

He was very scared to be in such an “open” environment as mine, with so much stimulation. He spent the first several hours just screaming incessantly. I knew it was going to be a long road to recovery as well as a huge challenge to find him the perfect home.

I spent the next weeks/months getting him healthy physically and emotionally. Over time he gained weight, learning to eat “real”, healthy foods. His eyes became brighter, his coat became shinier and he was even starting to grow some feathers back! There was a lot of follicle damage so he would never be fully feathered again, but that did not matter to me. What mattered is that he was happy, healthy and loved unconditionally. Finding a new owner to meet that criteria was going to be a challenge.

I had been searching for a potential new home for him but really never found the right fit. Some wanted me to ship him and others just didn’t answer my list of questions to my satisfaction. I would not ship him and I would not settle for any less of a home than what he deserved. He had been through enough.

Finally I got the email I had been praying for. A woman who had dealt with traumatic loss when her beloved Eclectus passed, just a year prior. She felt she was ready to open her heart and home to another Eclectus and wanted to know more about Kiwi. We spoke and I had a gut feeling that she would be his forever home. I felt an immediate connection with her and was excited about the possibility of her being “the one” for Kiwi.

She met Kiwi and there seemed to be a spark between them. I knew as soon as I saw the two of them interact that it was right. I then visited her home and my gut feeling was confirmed when I saw the amazing environment that she provided for her birds. Clean, healthy and full of light and love. Her husband also shared her love for the birds which was wonderful. Kiwi had finally found his forever home!!

I feel like she was his angel but also that he was an angel sent to her. I could not have been happier in being a part of this miracle, which is what it had felt like. It truly seemed that they had been destined for one another.

Kiwi continues to thrive and has a personality that just makes you smile from ear to ear. I now have the privilege of being a friend to his owner as well as caring for him whenever she needs me to. It could not have worked out better for everyone!

Kiwi when he first arrived in April 2008.
Only 7 months later, in October 2008.
Kiwi's wing feathers are almost fully grown in!


sharing said...

What a heartwarming Happy Ending story. Kiwi looks fabulous, loved and happy. You are wonderful, Dawn, for caring so much to make sure he and all the others get the best possible home. You are an angel.

Anonymous said...

I am glad there are people in the world like you, Dawn. Our feathered, and sometimes not so feathered, friends who are put by humans into cages, need there to be "watchers" like you, who will step up and speak out and take action to set both the people and the animals on the right path. Thank you from the owner of a pair of Ekkies, a Quaker, a lovebird and a rescued African Grey.

Caitlin is how You spell it said...

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful! I am so glad it all worked out, what a handsome and well loved boy.