Wednesday, January 21, 2009

More reasons to avoid microwave popcorn

I read this on the Canary Report blog, and thought it pertinent info for anyone that keeps parrots or other birds. I have often heard not to use microwave popcorn because the bags contain PTFE, and have killed birds before. Of course, another good reason to avoid them is for your own health, the chemical additives are not healthy for anyone's health when consumed. However, this is the first time I have heard that the chemical diacetyl is also very dangerous when inhaled! This is another reason popcorn bags are dangerous, if it is bothering people, I know it is most certainly bothering all birds, though, as I said in the last post, birds are able to handle differing amounts of it before it kills them.

----------------------------------------------------------
News Inferno
reports that OSHA—the Occupational Safety and Health Administration—is finally seeking public comment on the health standard for Diacetyl, the chemical linked to the sometimes fatal disease commonly known as Popcorn Lung. OMB Watch, a nonprofit advocacy group explained that factory workers, and likely consumers—who are exposed to Diacetyl are at an increased risk for developing Popcorn Lung, known medically as Bronchiolitis obliterans. Bronchiolitis obliterans is a serious and life-threatening disease that destroys the small airways of the lungs. Diacetyl, a chemical that gives foods like popcorn, candy, and baked goods that creamy, buttery taste, is linked to the disease, which has attacked popcorn factory employees and was also discovered in a man who ate at least two bags of buttery microwave popcorn daily for several years and reportedly enjoyed inhaling the fumes released when the popcorn was heated. It was found that the man’s lung problems were linked to breathing Diacetyl vapors.
-------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

DoodleBird said...

Wow, I didn't know that. I give Nani plain microwave popcorn sometimes. I guess I won't do that anymore. Thanks for posting!

Susie Collins said...

Meg, thank you for sharing this report with your readers who have birds. I had no idea that microwave popcorn was killing or harming people's pets. Makes me so mad. That risk factor should be fully disclosed.