Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Clean Up!

The EWG has released their Toxic Cleaners Hall of Fame list, which I thought worth posting here. I suppose to some it can seem as though you should not use anything around your parrot, but really, you should just not use anything that is toxic to both of you. And yes, that does still leave an awful lot you can use!

Go HERE for the list, with info on a variety of cleaners, laundry detergents, and air fresheners.

8 comments:

storywings said...

OMG! I used to use Glade air fresheners. I don't use them now, because of my parrots, but still! Most of the products on that list you can't find in Europe, but I'll google to see if I can find a european site like the one you posted.

Meg said...

I hope you can; let me know! I think there are laws that require the companies to list their ingredients in at least some of the European countries, although the formulas they use there are safer than the ones allowed in this country anyway. Which is always so sad to me, they are all bad, yes, but to have separate formulas for the same product for different countries, leaving out what you have to in some?

storywings said...

European union has VERY strict rules about any ingredients used in cosmetics or cleaning products...different countries= different regulations= loopholes

Meg said...

Exactly. I think it is a glimmer of just how much of a blind eye these companies will turn as to the safety of their products.

InkRose115 said...

Dilute bleach is very safe, as long as it is used properly and rinsed thoroughly. There is a reason why labs working with biological materials use bleach.

Meg said...

Well hopefully most households do not have to disinfect so thoroughly in everyday cleaning as a lab does- I often just use water unless there is a very stubborn stuck on bit.

InkRose115 said...

I used vinegar and water for everyday cleaning. If something is seriously dirty, or I just bought it and don't know if it was exposed to other birds or not, then I use bleach.

Meg said...

Makes sense. If I was able to use bleach safely (I am very sensitive to chlorine), I would not see a problem using it in a case like that, although there are alternatives that work as well.