Sunday, April 10, 2011

By Request: Miss Gwen

Who is not, and please don't even suggest such a thought in her hearing, a bird. No love lost between her and anything with feathers, far from it. Gwen is a dog, a large chihuahua or possible chihuahua mix, and she feels that anything other than herself or other small dogs is not worth the space it takes up on this Earth. Oh, except for any people that might want to give her attention, or even better, food. She doesn't mind that too terribly, either. She can be quite noisy, it is true, but aside from that and her bizarre love of clothing (you really have to see it to believe,as I certainly would never have) she doesn't fit too many of the many terrible chi stereotypes. As I said, she permits people to be in her presence, and will graciously make the rounds to accept praise from each in turn, as long as she is sure none of them poses any danger to me. Admittedly, she doesn't really care for people, other than myself, in that time-honored way of dogs, but she is quite polite, and extremely loyal to me, so really, what more could I ask?

Gwen's story, in brief, is that she is an ex-backyard breeder dropped off at the local animal control, where I adopted her. She was guessed to be around 6 years old at that time, but whether that age is really accurate is not known, and I can't say I care all that much. She is loud, sleeps all the time she is not loud, and is a (nearly) devout vegetarian (her own decision, not mine) with a voracious appetite which results in her frequently eating things that are better left outside the body. When not sleeping or eating things, but sometimes while she is loud, she is full of endless energy, is obsessed with springtime, and is extremely smart. She is also extremely protective of me, and while polite towards people, has no problem chasing off other creatures, like, say, rottweilers or very large lab/German shepherd mixes. Fortunately, she is very quick on her feet, and easily convinces the other animal she is clearly rabid, but I still disagree with her on the wisdom of these moves. And last, but not least, she is very bonded to me, and makes sure I am always ok, and so very sweet about it, too. Except, perhaps, when she is very tired and is pretty sure I am going to be fine soon.

And on the clothes issue, that is quite funny after you get used to it. I got her in the winter, and immediately noticed that she gets cold extremely easily, so of course I knitted her a wool sweater. It quickly became clear, though, that Gwen not only has nothing against clothes, but really loves them in a way prior to this I thought only existed in Disney movies. And to think at one time I questioned whether I would want to deal with suiting up a greyhound, my "dream" dog, in the winter!




 Gwen, the very wise business guru, will take your questions now.
(But she thinks you should already know the answers)



Gwen vs. Black Cup With Treat Under It

 I know it is in here!

 Just gotta get my mouth open a liiittle wider.....

'Nother one? Pretty Please?


P.S. This post is brought to you by me (and Gwen. Mostly Gwen), per request from Hungry Bird.

4 comments:

phonelady said...

she is so cute but hey Im partial to chihuahuas as Im a chihuahua mama too and am owned by two very obessive and jealous quakers .

HungryBird said...

She is a cutie!!! Look at that face! She must be the most alert dog on the planet! Definitely got a lot of Chihuahua in her! They are feisty little dogs aren't they? There was a 5 year old female Chihuahua I wanted to foster but the evil boyfriend said "No!! I will have to do all the cleaning up after her!".

Chihuahuas are fearless little monsters. I am closely acquainted with a 5 year old male Chihuahua who does not play around when it comes to his dignity. He will let a Mastiff know if he feels they have crossed the line.

Meg said...

phonelady: quakers certainly have plenty of personality, don't they? I think Gwen likes them least of all of my parrots! I had to make sure sure couldn't reach the cage, since I couldn't even leave her in the room with them locked up!

HungryBird: Oh she is alert all right, very alert! Her appearance is slightly deceiving, since time has taken a bit of a toll on all her senses, but she makes up for that with effort.

Aww, sad you couldn't foster the chihuahua! I got lucky with Gwen- even though they said she was not housebroken, she pretty much was, or she learned very fast!

HungryBird said...

I think Quakers may be the Chihuahuas of the bird world!